Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Do You Visualize?

I have learned a lot lately about the importance of visualization in order to reach my goals in life.  So I wanted to share what I have learned thus far to help you accomplish more than you ever thought you could imagine.

What is visualization anyway?  What does it mean?  According to Webster's dictionary, visualize or visualization means, "To see or form a mental image of. The act or process of interpreting in visual terms or of putting into visible form."  This is a great definition because it explains exactly what you do when you visualize.

So what do you mean by visualize, Peter?  Well, let me explain it this way:
When I started working on getting my home business up and running, my mentor, Juan Walker, asked me why I was doing what I was doing.  He said, "Why are you here?  Why are you doing this?"  He went on to explain that knowing your "why" is the most important thing in this business.  It's what keeps you going each day and it is the core of your daily visualization.

So the first thing I had to do was identify my why.  It came down to two things; my desire to be with my family and watch Jesse grow up and my desire to be debt free.  My next step was to create something that showed those reasons in a visual way, so I got pictures of us being together and pictures that resembled freedom from debt.  I personally picked things that provoked strong emotions when I looked at them.  I then made a collage of those pictures and posted them right in front of my desk so I would have no excuse but to see them.  Over each collage I wrote my goals and the feelings I would experience when I meet them.  I also quantified those goals with numbers and dates.  This was my "act of putting in visible form" these two "why's."

I then took this a little further to add even more meaning and emotion to the visualization process.  I chose a song for each that would invoke the feelings I would experience when I had accomplished my goals.  My daily routine now is to play each song, and as I do, visualize those feelings and look at the pictures to put into reality those feelings.  I get goosebumps every time I play those songs without fail.  That is how powerful it is.  This is what gives you that drive to keep going.  In doing this, it is always in front of you why you are doing what you are doing.

It doesn't stop there though.  I also wrote a vision statement that outlined my goals in five years.  This was written in present tense as if it had already happened.  I put as much detail as I could into it.  The more detail the better.  It is recommended to write a vision statement for five years, one year, six months, 90 days and one month.  Then you take the most relevant one and post it in places where you will see it throughout the day.  Read it first thing in the morning every day and make it the last thing you read every night.  This way it is always in your mind and you start living it.  This is a very powerful way to reach goals and this is how the very wealthy do it.  You have to have a game plan if you are going to accomplish anything.

Well, I think I've shared enough.  This is only the tip of the iceberg, but it's enough to get anyone started on the right track.  The only way to do it though, is to take action!


Helping you get the upper hand,
Peter Bunn
Rising Leader

Want a more stress free life and be able to be home with your family? Learn how to empower yourself with this experience: www.PeterBunnHasFun.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome any comments or suggestions on the post. Any particular subject you want to hear about?